I’ve been dreaming about styling a lush afternoon tea party for over a year now. I’ve always loved everything about this tradition, and I knew that it would be the perfect way to highlight some of my favorite products, and bring my styling ideas to life.
This week, my dream finally came true, thanks to the incredible support of my business besties Kendall of Temple Candles, and Silke of Zebra Jojo Photography. Together, we collaborated to create a truly unforgettable event, with lush styling and delicious food and drinks. Life truly is beautiful when you have supportive and talented friends surrounding you.
I had originally thought of doing something on a smaller scale, but Kendall had the brilliant idea of inviting other brands to participate. It was genius! And I met so many nice ladies as a result. (Plus more ideas on where to shop for gifts!)
The overall look of the afternoon tea was very lush and layered, with pretty blue and white ginger jars (in several sizes including miniatures for each place setting), lots of flowers, and Temple Candles’ pretty teacup sets in pink and blue. The color palette was pink, blue, and green, which created a whimsical and inviting atmosphere, but not – and this is important – not Alice in Wonderland.
The velvet bows were another special touch. I used them as napkin rings, and attached miniature ginger jars. They added a touch of whimsy and fun to the place settings, which included capiz charges rimmed in a bamboo frame, pink dinner plates, green bamboo-rimmed dessert plates, and blue patterned table napkins with tassels. There were alternating blue and pink teacup sets on the side, with a mix of crystal champagne flutes, French style wineglasses, and pink water goblets.
It’s a mix of both Asian and Western influences, all coming together in one beautiful party! Kendall’s dining room, with the 8-seater table and large windows, was the perfect venue for it.
Collaborating with Brands to Create a Dream Event
I was so fortunate to have the opportunity to collaborate with some really amazing brands to create this dream afternoon tea party. Here are a few of the brands that participated:
- Hankie Pankie Home for the lovely tablecloth, table napkins, plates, and bamboo-handled silverware (I loved the tablecloth design so much, I ordered one for myself. It’s called Melrose Drive.)
- Layard Interiors for the elegant capiz chargers with bamboo rims (they’re surprisingly thick and sturdy by the way)
- Silk Flowers Singapore for the silk hydrangeas and poppies that added the extra volume to the flower arrangement (and seriously did not look fake at all!)
- And of course, Temple Candles for the prettiest cups and saucers, and the silver votive candles!
It was a truly magical event, and I’m so happy that it happened on the week of my birthday! We ordered the Afternoon Tea delivery set from Fullerton Hotel, which was pink themed because it’s October; and Haute Couture Tea blend from TWG served in my vintage Royal Albert Celebration Roses teapots.
I’m so in love with the photos! Silke is just the most amazing photographer and she understood the vision perfectly!
Can you see how happy I am?
Tips for Styling a Lush Afternoon Tea Party
If you’re dreaming of hosting your own lush afternoon tea party, here are a few tips:
- Choose a colour palette and stick to it. This will help to create a cohesive and stylish look.
- Use layers to add depth and interest to your table setting. For example, you could use a tablecloth, a runner, and a centrepiece.
- Don’t be afraid to mix and match different patterns and textures. This will add visual interest to your table setting.
- Use fresh flowers and greenery to add a touch of nature to your table setting. Never skimp on the flowers. Order more than you think you need. And if you live in a tropical country like Singapore, you can totally supplement the fresh ones with good quality silk flowers.
- Pay attention to the details. For example, you could use monogrammed napkins or personalized teacups.
- Do a run through. Kendall and I did a ‘mockup day’ to make sure we had a solid plan. It helped save time during the day itself, and informed us if we needed anything else.
With a little planning, you can easily create a lush and inviting afternoon tea party that your guests will never forget.