Marketing luxury presents a unique challenge. Luxury brands are known for their exquisite quality, attention to detail and exceptional customer service. The unique experiences luxury brands offer set them apart from their competitors. Marketing a luxury brand demands a distinctive approach that embodies the brand’s elevated standards and exclusivity.
In today’s digital age, email marketing has emerged as a powerful tool that can deliver impressive returns on investment. By building strong relationships and engaging customers, these strategies can increase brand awareness and drive sales, making them a key part of any luxury brand marketing strategy.
What is email marketing?
Email marketing is a direct marketing technique that involves sending personalised and targeted messages via email to a group of people who have opted to be on the mailing.
These messages can take various forms, such as newsletters, promotional and sales emails, and are tailored to a brand’s specific longer-term goals. The overarching aim of email marketing is to establish strong relationships with customers, increase brand awareness and ultimately drive sales.
Marketing luxury through email marketing
Luxury brands usually focus their marketing specifically towards affluent consumers, with high levels of disposable income. This marketing approach leverages the high-end brand image that appeals to the desires and aspirations of this demographic and utilises digital channels to reach them where they spend their time online.
Email marketing is crucial to any digital marketing strategy. It enables brands to create personalised and targeted campaigns that speak directly to their high-value customers, building relationships and providing exclusive access to new products, promotions and events. By delivering messages directly to customers’ inboxes, email marketing helps luxury brands maintain a sense of exclusivity and intimacy, strengthening emotional connections and increasing brand loyalty and sales.
Benefits of email marketing for luxury brands
There are many benefits of email marketing but marketing luxury requires a strong strategy.
- Reaching a targeted audience: Email marketing allows luxury brands to reach a specific audience of customers with purchasing capacity to afford their products. By segmenting email lists based on customer preferences, purchase history and behaviour, luxury brands can tailor their message to resonate with each individual customer.
- Strengthen brand identity: Email marketing is an effective way for luxury brands to strengthen their brand identity by communicating their values and vision directly to their audience. Through consistent messaging, design and tone of voice, email marketing helps luxury brands strengthen a recognisable and memorable brand image.
- Building customer loyalty: By delivering personalised content and exclusive offers to email subscribers, luxury brands can foster a sense of loyalty and connection with their customers. This can lead to positive word of mouth and repeat, long-term business.
- Increasing sales and revenue: Creating and implementing a marketing strategy allows brands to focus on revenue driving messaging. Brands can entice their email subscribers to make purchases by highlighting new arrivals, special promotions and limited-time offers.
- Tracking and measuring results: Email marketing allows the success of campaigns to be tracked and measured using metrics such as click-through rates and conversion rates. This data can be used to optimise future campaigns and improve the overall marketing strategy. You can find a more comprehensive list of email marketing metrics to track here.
- Cost-effective marketing channel: Email marketing is a cost-effective way for luxury brands to promote their products or services. The average expected return on investment (ROI) is $40 for every $1 you spend on email marketing. Compared to paid advertising on platforms like Google and social media, email marketing is relatively inexpensive. This allows brands to maximise their impact and their marketing budget.
How Email Can Strengthen a Luxury Brand Marketing Strategy
Any good luxury brand marketing strategy should include email as an integral part of the strategy. Here are some examples of how to integrate email when marketing a luxury brand.
- Segmentation and personalisation: Segmenting an email list based on customer behaviour and preferences allows the messaging to be more targeted and personalised.
Example: A luxury fashion brand could segment their email list based on past purchase history, browsing behaviour or abandoned cart, and send personalised recommendations for new products or collections that align with customers’ specific interests.
- Storytelling and brand narrative: Emails are more intimate than other traditional marketing strategies like paid ads. Luxury brands can use email marketing to tell their brand’s story and communicate their values and vision to their audience.
Example: A luxury jewellery brand could send an email featuring the story behind the design of a new piece of jewellery, or highlighting the brand’s commitment to ethical sourcing and sustainability.
- Visual and aesthetic appeal: Email marketing is a perfect avenue for visual and aesthetic appeal. Luxury brands can showcase their products or services with visually stunning and aesthetically pleasing email designs.
Example: A luxury home decor brand could send an email featuring captivating images of their latest collection that emphasise the intricate details that inspired the designs. Giving customers an insight into the design inspiration and process.
- Limited-time offers and exclusivity: Email marketing is perfect for creating a sense of exclusivity and urgency around products or services and works especially well for limited time offers.
Example: A luxury beauty brand could send an email promoting a limited-time offer on their most popular products, or offering early access to a new product, exclusively for their email subscribers.
- Partnership and collaboration: Luxury brands can partner with other high-end brands or influencers to expand their reach and offer unique, one-off promotions.
Example: A luxury fashion brand could send an email promoting a collaboration with a high-end jewellery brand, offering a limited-edition collection or exclusive discount for subscribers. This cross-promotion exposes a brand to a new audience that is potentially their target market.
- Event invitations and RSVPs: Luxury brands can utilise emails to invite customers to exclusive events, track RSVPs, attendance and purchases. This allows brands to send more targeted and personalised emails in future and provide a seamless guest experience.
Example: A luxury watch brand could send an email invitation for a private launch party with people needing to click a link to RSVP to secure a spot on the guest list. This helps to foster a sense of exclusivity, with customers feeling like they are part of a club. This can lead to repeat business and positive word-of-mouth marketing.
Marketing a luxury brand through email campaigns: Case studies
There are many examples of a luxury brand marketing strategy that utilised email. Here are two of the more notable email marketing campaigns that world-famous luxury brands have successfully launched.
Tiffany & Co. x Nike – “Blue Ribbon Sports”
After months of rumoured pair-up, Tiffany & Co and Nike finally launched their product collaboration in March 2023 with a pair of limited edition sneakers, the Air Force 1 1837.
In the months leading up to the launch, Tiffany & Co and Nike have released teasers, which caused a buzz in social media circles.
Through perfectly crafted storytelling of their collaboration via teasers, this campaign has reached a wider audience by showcasing the versatility of the Tiffany & Co brand in partnering with a sportswear giant like Nike. By creating aesthetic teaser images of the collaboration, Tiffany & Co has been able to create excitement and frenzy over this product launch. Tiffany & Co. has attracted sneaker enthusiasts who may not have previously been interested in their brand.
One of the key lessons we can learn from this campaign is that collaborations can be a powerful way to expand a brand’s reach and appeal to new audiences. By partnering with Nike, Tiffany & Co. has positioned themselves as a brand that is versatile and willing to experiment with new and unexpected collaborations. This can help to expand their customer base, outside of their more traditional customers and create new opportunities for growth.
Additionally, the use of storytelling, creative visuals and teasers has helped to create an anticipation among old fans and new consumers. And what better avenue for aesthetic designs and storytelling than an email campaign?
Louis Vuitton – “Volez, Voguez, Voyagez”
In 2015, Louis Vuitton launched an email campaign to promote an exclusive exhibition showcasing the brand’s history and iconic products. The company utilised visually stunning emails featuring exclusive behind-the-scenes content and invitations to the exhibition.
This campaign was able to create anticipation for the exhibition and attract a wider audience. The exclusivity offered a sense of prestige among those who took part in the exhibition.
The lesson here is that email campaigns can be used to promote exclusive events and experiences, and to showcase a brand’s history and heritage through storytelling.
By crafting exquisite-looking emails and showcasing exclusive behind-the-scenes content, Louis Vuitton was able to create a sense of exclusivity and excitement around the exhibition.
Conclusion – Marketing luxury through emails
Email marketing presents a great opportunity for luxury brands to reach their target audience effectively.
The main benefits of email marketing for luxury brands are:
- Reaching a targeted audience
- Strengthen brand identity
- Building customer loyalty
- Increasing sales and revenue
- Tracking and measuring results
- Cost-effective marketing channel
Investing in email marketing will ensure that luxury brands stay relevant and competitive in today’s market, enhance their brand image, increase customer engagement and ultimately drive sales.
How Email Can Strengthen a Luxury Brand Marketing Strategy:
- Segmentation and personalisation
- Storytelling and brand narrative
- Visual and aesthetic appeal
- Limited-time offers and exclusivity
- Partnership and collaboration
- Event invitations and RSVPs
Email marketing is expected to continue playing a significant role in the luxury industry. As technology continues to evolve, brands will have even more opportunities to personalise and segment their email campaigns to create tailored experiences for their customers. Email marketing will remain an integral part of any good luxury brand marketing strategy.
Marketing luxury presents a unique challenge but it’s definitely a challenge brands should embrace.
A GUEST POST BY ANNA NORRIS,
email marketing specialist at YELLOW DOT MARKETING. Anna offers an audit service, a done for you email marketing service, and also teaches email marketing courses.