i kid you not! one bite is sure to transport any chocoholic into unheard of states of bliss. all you need is a good book, a comfy chair, and yes, a glass of milk.
the recipe is by nigella, of course, the ultimate domestic goddess. she’s the one i call upon in moments when i need a bit of comfort. yes, sadly only food does it for me. so thank you nigella. you’ve saved my sanity (or what’s left of it) more times than i can count.
here’s the recipe:
125 g dark chocolate, minimum 70% cocoa solids
30g cocoa, sifted
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
125g soft butter
75 g light brown sugar
50g white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg, cold from the fridge
350 g or 2 bags semi-sweet chocolate morsels or dark chocolate chips
- preheat the oven to 170 degrees centigrade. melt the 125 g dark chocolate (microwave or in a heatproof dish over a pan of simmering water. yup, microwave is easier.)
- put the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt into a bowl.
- cream the butter and sugars in another bowl. add the melted chocolate and mix together.
- beat in the vanilla extract and cold egg, and then mix in the dry ingredients. finally stir in the chocolate morsels or chips.
- scoop out 12 equal-sized mounds and place on a lined baking sheet about 6cm apart. do not flatten them. they need no help in that area.
- cook for 18 minutes, testing with a cake tester to make sure it comes out semi-clean and not wet with batter. if you pierce a chocolate chip, try again.
- leave to cool slightly on the baking sheet for 4-5 minutes then transfer them to a cooling rack to harden as they cool.
* just so you know how big those cookies are, that plate is 8 inches wide. =)